一、教育和工作经历Education and Work Experience
04-2013 -12-2019, Professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine
03-2008 - 03-2013, Post Doctoral Research Associate, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, USA
06-2004 - 12-2007, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany, PhD
07-1998 - 05-2000, Master of Sciences, Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore, India
07-1994 - 05-1997 Bachelor of Sciences, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India
二、主要研究方向Main Research Directions
1. Investigate transcription mechanisms involved in neuron and brain development.
2. Protein engineering to improve gene editing, enzyme function and vaccines.
3. Development of Protein platform for medium scale protein production.
三、科研领域描述Description of Scientific Research
Neuronal development is a complex process involving a myriad of mechanisms. Transcription factors play multiple roles in various stages of neuronal development, and alterations or change in balance of different factors aftect the growth of neurons and ultimately brain function. We are focusing on understanding the molecular functions of DYRK1A, a kinase, which when reduced causes microcephaly and stunted growth. DYRK1A functions in multiple cellular events, including in transcription. We have previously shown that in collaboration with CBP and p300 (Histone acetyl transferases), DYRK1A localizes to promoters and enhancers of specific genes and regulates their expression. Interestingly, mutations in CBP/p300 are associated with microcephaly. Also, we have found that DYRK1A is important for cell size regulation.
Protein engineering – We have established the protein platform in the Institute. We establish protocols for producing proteins and purified them using chromatography. Some examples of proteins we have recently purified - Cas9, ABE8E (base editor), alpha-synuclein, bFGF, PDGF-A, EGF.
We are exploring new approaches for protein/RNA delivery using cell penetrating peptides and virus like particles. We are engineering Cas9 with cell penetrating peptides for cellular delivery without the need for transfection reagents.
1. Lu X, Xin DE, Du JK, Zou QC, Wu Q, Zhang YS, Deng W, Yue J, Fan XS, Zeng Y, Cheng X, Li X, Hou Z, Mohan M, Zhao TC, Lu X, Chang Z, Xu L, Sun Y, Zu X, Zhang Y, Chinn YE. Loss of LOXL2 Promotes Uterine Hypertrophy and Tumor Progression by Enhancing H3K36ac-Dependent Gene Expression. Cancer Res. 2022 Dec 2;82(23):4400-4413. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-22-0848.
2. Zhang P, Zhang Z, Fu Y, Zhang Y, Washburn MP, Florens L, Wu M, Huang C, Hou Z, Mohan M*. K63-linked ubiquitination of DYRK1A by TRAF2 alleviates Sprouty 2-mediated degradation of EGFR. Cell Death Dis. 2021 Jun 11;12(6):608. doi: 10.1038/s41419-021-03887-2.
3. Xu S, Zhan M, Jiang C, He M, Yang L, Shen H, Huang S, Huang X, Lin R, Shi Y, Liu Q, Chen W, Mohan M, Wang J. Genome-wide CRISPR screen identifies ELP5 as a determinant of gemcitabine sensitivity in gallbladder cancer. Nat Commun. 2019 Dec 2;10(1):5492.
4. Shen H, He M, Lin R, Zhan M, Xu S, Huang X, Xu C, Chen W, Yao Y, Mohan M*, Wang J. *. PLEK2 promotes gallbladder cancer invasion and metastasis through EGFR/CCL2 pathway. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Jun 10;38(1):247. doi: 10.1186/s13046-019-1250-8 * Co-corresponding author
5. Li S, Xu C, Fu Y, Lei PJ, Yao Y, Yang W, Zhang Y, Washburn MP, Florens L, Jaiswal M, Wu M, Mohan Man*. DYRK1A interacts with Histone Acetyl Transferase p300 and CBP and localizes to enhancers.. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018 Nov 30;46(21):11202-11213 *Corresponding author
6. Rickels R, Hu D, Collings CK, Woodfin AR, Piunti A, Mohan M, Herz HM, Kvon E, Shilatifard A. An Evolutionary Conserved Epigenetic Mark of Polycomb Response Elements Implemented by Trx/MLL/COMPASS. Mol Cell. 2016, Jul 21;63(2):318-28
7. Mohan M, Herz HM, Shilatifard A. “SnapShot: Histone Lysine Methylase Complexes” Cell. 2012 149, April 13.
8. Mohan M, Herz HM, Smith ER, Zhang Y, Jackson J, Washburn MP, Florens L, Eissenberg JC, Shilatifard A. “The COMPASS family of H3K4 methylases in Drosophila.” Mol Cell Biol. 2011 Nov;31(21):4310-8.
9. Mohan M, Lin C, Guest E, Shilatifard A. “Licensed to elongate: a molecular mechanism for MLL-based leukemogenesis.” Nat Rev Cancer. 2010 Oct;10(10):721-8.
10. Mohan M, Herz HM, Takahashi YH, Lin C, Lai KC, Zhang Y, Washburn MP, Florens L, Shilatifard A. “Linking H3K79 trimethylation to Wnt signaling through a novel Dot1-containing complex (DotCom)” Genes & Dev 2010 Mar 15;24(6):574-89